Soot and Smoke Damage Restoration
Ash and soot left in a fire will continue to impact your home long after the fire is put out. Ash and smoke, if not properly treated, will result in extensive corrosion, etching and discoloration as well as powerful and persistent odors. The good news is that professionals such as DryCare Restoration Inc. can reverse this damage before it becomes a major problem – if they are contacted soon enough.
DryCare Restoration Inc. can clean up smoke damage and restore items affected by a fire, but we need to get to the site and initiate operations as soon as possible to halt the ongoing issues that ash residue can cause. The first noticeable effect of ash in the home is to discolor most surfaces. Anything that is made of plastic or that was close to the fire will start discoloring within minutes, and after a few hours, fiberglass and finishes on your appliances will begin to yellow. Metals may also tarnish. Within a few days, ash residues may result in permanent discoloration of your walls as well as clothing and upholstery. Wood and vinyl will need to be refinished or replaced.
What you should do after a fire?
- Limit your movements within the home. Footsteps can result in soot particles becoming embedded in the upholstery and carpets.
- Keep your hands and feet clean of soot to avoid further soiling upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Cover rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas with clean towels or old linens.
- If the power is off (or the electricity infrastructure damaged) empty your freezer and refrigerator and prop their doors open.
- Apply a light coating of petroleum jelly or oil to chrome surfaces.
- Rinse the leaves of houseplants on both sides.
- Replace your HVAC filter. Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
- Cleaning any electrical appliances that may have been exposed to the fire, excessive heat or the water that put out the fire.
- Using any canned or packaged food or beverages that might have been exposed to the fire, excessive heat or the water that put out the fire.
- Turning on the ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Sending clothing to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning can fixate the smoky odor in your clothes.
Fire, Smoke and Soot Damage Restoration Process
Step 1: Emergency Contact
Step 2: Free Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
- Severity of the situation – if the loss is too great, it is sometimes be more cost effective to just level the property, while salvaging whatever we can. However, if the severity of the situation isn’t as catastrophic, for example, when there’s only smoke and soot damage, the property can be cleaned, deodorized, and then restored to a pre-loss condition.
- Does the situation require drying in addition to clean up? When fire sprinklers go off and/or the fire dept. shows up, the situation can sometimes become more of a water situation rather then a fire and smoke situation.
- Are personal belongings and content affected? Are they salvageable? If the answer is yes for both questions, we have the tools, experience, and the knowledge to get the job done.
Step 3: Emergency Board-Up and Roof-Tarp Service
Step 4: Water Removal and Dry out (if water damage is present)
Step 5: Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
Step 6: Clean Up, Deodorizing and Packing of Salvageable Personal and Home Content
Step 7: Removal of Damaged Structure Elements
Step 8: Build-Back Restoration
Throughout this process, the supervisors and foremen of DryCare Restoration Inc. will personally deal with the fire department, your insurance carrier, and all other parties involved, leaving you free to recover from the disruption caused to your lives by the fire. DryCare Restoration Inc. prides itself on providing professional and timely service to all clients, regardless of the cause or severity of the fire damage you face, and are prepared, as leading experts in the industry utilizing state of the art equipment and techniques, to take on even the most challenging situations. Our motto is that while not all fires can be avoided, any home damaged by fire can be restored- and we are here to restore it.
Reach us whenever you need us!
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. DryCare Restoration Inc. is available when you need us most. Do not hesitate and call us for all your
fire damage restoration needs.